Book Club for Teen Girls in Foster Care
CASA Child Advocates of Montgomery County was awarded a $1,500 “Enthusiasm for Reading” grant from AAUW – North Harris County Branch in 2018. The funds were used this year to establish a summer book club for teen girls in foster care, specifically girls living in residential treatment centers (RTCs) in north Harris County.
The 42 participating youth greatly enjoyed the time CASA Child Advocates spent with them introducing them to new books. Book club meetings were held both at their placement location and at the Barbara Bush Branch Library in Spring, Texas. The club held group discussions about the books, as well as discussions about their personal lives, hopes, and dreams for the future. Several of the teen girls asked when the next book club would begin!
The 2019 book club selections included:
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J.K. Rowling
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
- The Lost and the Found by Cat Clarke
- The Girl of the Sea of Cortez by Peter Benchley
- The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey
- Hush by Jacqueline Woodson
If you would like more information on the book club or the AAUW grant, please contact Mercedes Milstead at Mercedes@CASASpeaks4Kids.com.