By Jenn Engel, CASA Case Supervisor and Collaborative Family Engagement Lead Facilitator
Our CASA Advocates and Supervisors are doing an excellent job implementing the CFE tools and working with others on the CFE team to ensure our CASA children have connections with positive, familiar adults while under CPS care and in a pandemic. Although family meetings are mostly virtual at this time, we have seen the great efforts of parents and other family members participating on CFE virtual calls, and working towards what will be best for their family.
CFE meetings are future-focused and provide an opportunity for tasks to be assigned to others on the CFE team to follow up on and to keep the case moving forward.
Here are the latest updates regarding Collaborative Family Engagement:
- Texas CASA provided a revised CFE Tool Pocket Guide for our Advocates and staff. Download the guide here.
- Texas CASA recently sent out a short video created by DFPS. This video can be shared with parents to give a better understanding of Collaborative Family Engagement and how helpful it can be building support around them and their children during the CPS process – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t-mhptSbfo
- CASA Supervisor, Jenn Engel will be conducting the last Collaborative Family Engagement Virtual training for 2020 via Zoom starting Wednesday, November 4th, 11th, and 18th from 4:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. We will discuss the seven chapters of the workbook “Collaborative Family Engagement: Creating and Strengthening lasting Connections” by Texas CASA. The course provides a better understanding of Family Engagement, the importance of building connections and various tools to have a natural conversation with the families we serve regarding their family background. REGISTER FOR THE TRAINING HERE.
In addition, here are some other great tips regarding Collaborative Family Engagement:
- Attach a copy of the Family Tree and other completed CFE tools to your court report.
- Bring a copy of the completed CFE tool to family meetings to ensure the child or teen’s voice is also heard when having future focused discussions with the CFE team.
- Make sure children, teens and families have an opportunity to send pictures of each other; even of the family dog! It’s a great and easy way to keep families connected.
CASA’s Collaborative Family Engagement Team:
Case Supervisor, Jenn Engel – CFE Lead Facilitator
Advocacy Manager, Mandy Stegint – CFE Co- Facilitator
Case Supervisor, Destin Hudek – CFE Lead Family Finder
If you should have any questions regarding Collaborative Family Engagement, please feel free to contact CFE Lead Facilitator, Jenn Engel at Jenn@CASAspeaks4kids.com