CASA4Teens Program: For Youth Aging Out of Foster Care
CASA Child Advocates of Montgomery County is focused on improving teen outreach. The “CASA4Teens” program (formerly the “Fostering Futures” program), aims to increase successful outcomes for youth aging out of foster care.
Therefore, We are working diligently to provide the following:
- A resource directory for teens, caregivers, staff, and Advocates. The directory will outline available support and persons to contact to help youth access the benefits they are eligible to receive.
- A CASA4Teens training manual that covers the needs of teens in foster care.
- A CASA4Teens classroom training with guest presenters.
- Summer events: A committee of Advocates and staff are planning fun and exciting activities to engage the youth.
Past/Future Teen-Centered Events:
- A teen girls’ book club at a local library
- CASA “Teen Nights“, examples of which may include an outdoor movie & pizza, a game night, a girls’ maniucure/pedicure party, etc.
- College, university, and vocational school campus tours
- Apartment leasing tours
- A simulated “Game of Life.” Our Game of Life event is an interactive life skills conference for high school teens in foster care. The simulation supplements what the teens are learning in their Preparation for Adult Living (PAL) classes with a fun day of putting all that information into practice.
- Information “booths” set up for Training, Education, Employment, Housing, Banking/Budgeting, and Grocery Shopping/Cooking.
- Each teen receives a game card at check-in and is tasked with learning all they can at each booth.
- Participants can enjoy food, stand-up comedy, and giveaways throughout the event.
- To view Leadership Montgomery County’s professionally-produced videos from the 2021 Game of Life, CLICK HERE!
- Continuing to assist with coalition events benefiting teens in foster care. CASA Child Advocates of Montgomery County partners with many organizations in Montgomery County. This includes Texas DFPS (CPS), Angel Reach, Back to Basics Ministries, and Love Fosters Hope, along with other churches and organizations.
Dates to remember for upcoming coalition events:
- Always Pursue is an event celebrating teens in foster care who are graduating high school. The formal dinner is normally held the first weekend in June.
- Back to School Party held in late September/early October. This is an event for children of all ages in foster care to enjoy.
- Celebrate Me is a day of games and connections for teens in foster care. During the event, each teen receives several gifts including a new pair of shoes. This event is scheduled for the 1st Saturday in November.
Thank you all for your support of our teens in foster care and youth aging out of foster care.